Which garden chairs are the best?
Outdoor dining chairs make a great addition to any outdoor space, from the porch to the back deck. Whether entertaining guests or lounging outside, outdoor seating can expand your living space and liven up the area.
The best outdoor wooden dining chairs are the Christopher Knight Teague Outdoor Acacia Dining Chairs. They are durable, aesthetically pleasing, and versatile enough for any space.
What you should know before buying outdoor dining chairs
location and terrain
Before setting up an outdoor living space, consider the setting and terrain. This can affect the style, aesthetics, decor and type of furniture you receive.
You can put dining chairs and other outdoor furniture in many places, such as:
- On the porch.
- Under a big tree.
- On the patio or deck.
- Near a swimming pool.
- In a lounge area.
- Near a garden or greenhouse.
- Around an outdoor fire pit or portable campfire.
Check the terrain wherever you put it. If the floor is uneven, it can be difficult to place furniture. Chairs in particular can tip over or wobble more easily on rocky ground. The same applies to wet or slippery areas, such as by the pool or in an off-road swim.
It is possible to place chairs and other dining furniture outside on uneven terrain, but this may require leveling the area or supporting the feet or base of the furniture.
Outdoor furniture takes up space, even smaller pieces like dining chairs, so it’s a good idea to know how much space you have before you fill it up. Measure the area to determine a few things, such as:
- how many chairs and other pieces of furniture that you can easily assemble.
- The ideal placement the outdoor furniture.
- All sorts of obstaclesB. a post or potted plants that could limit the space.
- How many people You can realistically accommodate the given space.
- how far back The chairs can walk if pushed back or otherwise moved.
Once you have a rough idea of the space available, you can set up the furniture. Make adjustments as you go.
weather and maintenance
Outdoor dining chairs are typically designed to withstand general environmental conditions such as rain or direct sunlight. That doesn’t mean they’re immune to damage, though. Common problems with patio furniture include:
- sun damage when ultraviolet rays hit the furniture. This can cause discoloration and fading. If the furniture is cheaply made, the sun and intense heat could also melt or otherwise damage it. An outdoor parasol could help prevent sun damage.
- rust or rot when certain materials such as wood are more frequently exposed to moisture. If you live in a rainy area or somewhere that gets a lot of hail or snow, consider covering the furniture.
- mildewa type of mold, is often found on garden furniture and can slowly ruin it.
- High temperatures can cause furniture to expand, contract or warp, among other things.
It’s often a good idea to store patio furniture in a covered space like a shed or garage when it’s not going to be used for a long period of time. This can prolong its longevity and keep it in good condition when you want to bring it out again. Also, clean the furniture regularly to prevent problems such as mold or moisture damage.
What you should look for in high-quality outdoor dining chairs
Dining chairs for outdoor use come in a variety of designs. Some have arms and some pivot. Many come with a padded seat and back for extra comfort. This cushion is often removable, making it easy to clean and replace if necessary.
The designs and themes are limitless and include:
- Rattan garden furniture with woven patterns.
- Single or solid material and color.
- Minimalistic print or pattern (e.g. geometric, floral and striped).
- Rustic or vintage design or colour.
- Contrasting frame and cushion colors or patterns.
- Different shapes for the cushion or the seat.
The material used in constructing the chairs is important as it affects everything from their durability to their comfort. Common materials for the frame are:
- Wood: Teak, cypress and cedar are popular and are sometimes mixed with resin for a more natural look. Resin is primarily used in wicker furniture because it is lightweight and resistant to environmental influences.
- Rattan: Rattan is popular with wicker and is durable, but not water-resistant.
- Metal: Strong and durable metals are stainless steel and aluminum. Metal can corrode or rust over time if it gets and stays wet. It can also heat up easily, making it uncomfortable to touch.
- Plastic: Although less durable in inclement weather, plastic chairs are often inexpensive. Some are made of high-density polyethylene, which is stronger.
The cushions are often made of synthetic materials that are reasonably resistant to the elements. They include:
How comfortable the chairs are is especially important if you intend to sit in them for a long period of time. Some have cushions for extra support, but not all. Some use mesh that adapts to the way you sit. Others, like metal or plastic chairs that don’t have cushions or netting, can be uncomfortable to sit on. There are also ergonomic chairs that can accommodate different postures and provide support for the spine, arms, hips, and legs.
It is possible to purchase individual outdoor dining chairs, but most come in sets of two to four.
If you’re interested in enhancing your outdoor space even more, here are some more items to add to your setup:
- dining table.
- footrests or stools.
- Standing Umbrellas.
- patio beds.
- side tables.
Many of these pieces serve two or more functions. Ottomans, for example, offer additional storage space. Umbrellas, on the other hand, can protect you and the furniture from the sun.
How much you can spend on outdoor dining chairs
This depends on the number of chairs in the set, materials and build quality. A small set of outdoor dining chairs typically costs $100-$200. A single chair could cost around $40 to $60. Larger or more complicated sets cost around $400.
Frequently Asked Questions About Outdoor Dining Chairs
Can indoor dining chairs go outside?
A Most indoor furniture is not designed for outdoor use. Their fabrics and other materials generally don’t resist things like mold or sun damage. Placing chairs and other furniture outdoors can also cause discoloration or deterioration.
Can I leave garden chairs outside all year round?
A Normally yes. Be sure to cover the furniture in heavy rain, snow and hail. Winterizing patio furniture can also help ensure it lasts much longer.
What are the best outdoor dining chairs to buy?
Top dining chairs for outdoor use
Christopher Knight outdoor dining chairs in acacia wood
What you need to know: These beautifully designed chairs are minimalist and versatile enough for any outdoor setting.
What you will love: The two acacia chairs in this set have rich texture and are easy to assemble. They are also sturdy and can be positioned on uneven terrain.
What you should consider: The paintwork does not withstand heavy rain, snow or hail.
Where to buy: Sold by Amazon
Top outdoor dining chair for the money
Flash Furniture black rattan stackable indoor/outdoor chairs
What you need to know: Large enough for adults, these rattan chairs will go well with any outdoor dining table or furniture set.
What you will love: Available in four colors including black and beige, these dependable chairs are lightweight and easy to position. They have a powder-coated metal frame that resists environmental influences. They come in sets of one, two, and four.
What you should consider: The legs are not sturdy enough for rocky terrain.
Where to buy: Sold by Amazon
It’s worth trying
Short stackable patio dining chair
What you need to know: This set of five stackable armchairs is perfect for entertaining guests outdoors.
What you will love: Constructed of powder-coated steel, these chairs are durable and can support up to 300 pounds. They have comfortable armrests and a breathable fabric back that protects you from overheating on hot days.
What you should consider: They might start to rust if left outside in the rain for a long time.
Where to buy: Sold by Wayfair
Do you want to buy the best products at the best prices? Check out BestReviews daily deals.
Sign up here to receive the weekly BestReviews newsletter with useful advice on new products and notable offers.
Angela Watson writes for BestReviews. BestReviews has helped millions of consumers simplify their purchasing decisions, saving them time and money.
Copyright 2022 BestReviews, a Nexstar company. All rights reserved.